ppp works only as root

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Fri Dec 17 14:06:51 PST 2004

Hi,

somehow I've managed to lock myself out of the ppp tool. I had it set
up on my 5.3 box so that I could dial out as a regular user (I've
added myself to the dialer group and added a "allow users markus" line
to ppp.conf). This worked nicely until yesterday.

Needless to say, I can't remember doing anything that might affect
this peaceful state. I did install a few ports, but these were related
to text processing, not to networking. Regardless, if I try to start
ppp today from my user account, I'll never see the ppp command
prompt. Instead, ppp eats all my cpu cycles by forking (the process
list is full of ppp instances) until I kill ppp.

ppp still works if I run it as root. However, I get this warning:

Warning: ff02:4::/32: Change route failed: errno: Network is
unreachable

which I didn't get before either. As you can see, I can connect to the
internet regardless, but I'd like to know how I managed to screw this
up.

Has anyone seen this before?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
markus.hoenicka at cats.de
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")
http://www.mhoenicka.de