Modem/ppp takes 3-4 attempts to connect (56kbps dialup)

Ben Washington-Yule benwy_01 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 17 14:02:45 PST 2004

Hi all.

For no apparent reason when I type 'ppp -ddial xtra' the modem clicks
on, starts dialing, disconnects for some reason, clicks off, starts the
process again. It does this about 3-4 times before it connects if it
even connects at all. I have tried to figure this one out myself, I've
scanned the ppp log which made no sense to me (the only error I saw was
'No response from server'). What commands can I use to diagnose this?
What does this problem sound like?

Connection:
56kbps dialup, dynamic IPs, XTRA NZ.

I can post my ppp.conf if you think it's needed. Cheers, Ben.