why must boot in single mode.

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Dec 17 07:24:23 PST 2004

> Thank you Skylar for sharing the information.
>
> I current have a simple server running RedHat, and wanting
> to switch to FreeBSD as I think that FreeBSD would offer better
> platform as a server in stability and security patches as such.
> (Am I correct here or what ? :-)

You are right.

> I am doing all my research just to make sure I am making the
> correct decision here.
>
> And this one about the single user mode is really making me
> cold feet at the moment :-)

I don't understand your problem here.
Single User is just booting up the kernel, but stopping before all
the network and user services are started.   At that point you can
do things on the machine that you would not want the other stuff
running for.   When you get that done, then just reboot and let it
run normally.   I rarely use single user mode - only when there is
a problem on the machine that needs fixing without other stuff running
or on a development machine (eg non-production machine) I am using to
write something.

> I will contact data centres just to make sure that they have all
> the facility needed to boot it into single user mode. Thanks again

All they need is a keyboard and monitor - that can be shared with
several units with an appropriate switch.

If you need remote access to the console - eg can't physically be there,
then you can either set it to do console via a serial port and then
via the net or get a keyboard/monitor switch (KVM) that handles dialup
or internet connection.

> Oh, btw, I have a quick scan on your personal page, very impress
> that you are helping to maintain the servers. Would my choice of
> FreeBSD over RedHat be correct in this instance for a webserver
> do you think?

FreeBSD (with Apache, PHP, MySQL or PostgresSQL, etc)  makes a very
good - maybe the best - webserver system.

////jerry