Trouble with 'portsdb -uU' and ld-elf.so...

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 17:57:24 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:07:19AM -0600, Eric Schuele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble with 'portsdb -uU'
>
> It worked exactly twice on my machine.  I was using the following
> commands to upgrade all my ports:
>
> # cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
> # portsdb -uU
> # pkgdb -F
> # portupupgrade -a
>
> worked fine first two times.  Now.. my cvsup works fine.  but when I
> 'portsdb -uU', it runs for a while and then I get something like:
>
> K_1_2 Segmentation fault (core dumped) JAVA_PORT_LINUX_IBM_JDK_1_3 |
> /usr/bin/awk '{ print $1 }'" returned non-zero status
> ===> java/javamail failed
> *** Error code 1
> 2 errors
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: rm: Shared object has no run-time symbol table

Here is my guess, and I emphasize that it is a guess:

http://fireflynetworks.net/pipermail/rtg/2004-December/001375.html

is a page I found by using Google to search for:

Shared object has no run-time symbol table

> Now mind you I may have broken my ports tree at some point.

This appears to be the case:

> I'm
> relatively new to FreeBSD... and before I began using portupgrade... I
> was manually upgrading a handful of ports (make install.. deinstall...
> reinstall type stuff... downloading port folder manually)..

I suggest reinstalling the ports you deinstalled, if you haven't
already done so...

> and I think
> a placed a few in 'new' directories in my ports tree.  So I do not know
> if that would 'break' my ports tree or not.  But thought it was worth
> mentioning.

I can't quite parse this because it appears to me that you've left out
a word or two.

> Other things worth mentioning:
> - I have a very slight customized kernel config file.  Added support for
> ath, removed some processor support (486/586), added splash screen.

I don't think this is relevant.

> - I have NEVER cvsupped my kernel src... only the ports tree.

And here it is: go and update your source, including the ports tree,
after you have reinstalled the ports you deinstalled. Make sure that
the world is correctly installed; then go and try the portupgrade
bits, one port at a time.

> I have done nothing such as buildworld.

Go and do buildworld, then portupgrade.

> Have I broken something?  Am I going about upgrading ports the wrong
> way?

Yes, it appears that you have broken something.

> If I have broken my ports tree.... is it possible to recreate it
> correctly?  Maybe delete it and reinstall off CD then cvsup it?

No, you don't need to do a complete reinstall, IMO; you do need to
update your source, perhaps even desperately.