ld-elf.so.1: Shared object"libintl.so.6" not found

Tabor Kelly tkelly-freebsd-questions at taborandtashell.net
Thu Dec 16 12:58:12 PST 2004

Andrew P. wrote:

<snip>

> The only question I have now is how come I've never read about this?
> I've read the Handbook and the Complete Freebsd and literally
> thousands of other pages concerning FreeBSD management. I have
> never seen a warning about changing the default shell for root.
> Or am I just too blind?..

I haven't noticed it documented recently... but it was literally the
first thing I was warned not to do by one of my friends when I started
using *nix (linux at the time) about a decade ago (and he wasn't even a
guru).

As Kris Kennaway (kris at obsecurity.org) noted, it would be very bad if
you couldn't boot into single user mode when you needed to.

-Tabor Kelly