Why reccomend Bash shell?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Dec 16 11:26:15 PST 2004

At 9:11 PM -0600 12/15/04, Adam wrote:
>In Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD" he reccomends changing
>the default shell for users to bash shell. -p. 94
>
>What are the Pro's/Con's of using bash as opposed to the other
>shells?

Personal preferences, mostly.  In my case, my first unix accounts
were setup with csh.  I am a programmer, and am happy to write
little scripts to automate minor repetitive tasks.  I came across
some situations where I just couldn't get csh to do what I wanted
it to do, so I started using /bin/sh for all the scripts that I
wrote.  As I did that more, I ended up switching my shell to bash
(since it uses syntax which is much closer to standard 'sh').

There are other 'sh-ish' alternatives to csh/tcsh, but I must admit
I haven't really given them a fair trial.  I've been using bash for
at least twelve years now, and I haven't felt any need to change.

I should also admit that these days I'm more likely to write scripts
in perl or ruby, unless it is something fairly simple...

Those are my personal preferences.  Yours may be different.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu