Problem connecting with Netatalk 2.0

frank6055-groups at yahoo.de frank6055-groups at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 16 08:53:01 PST 2004

This is what helped in my case:

If you used an earlier version of Netatalk before
(like 1.6) then there are hidden Mac files in the
Linux home directories (e.g. ".AppleDB"). This happens
because typically all home directories are shared by
the standard version of the AppleVolumes.default.
Those hidden files obviously led to the behavior of
Netatalk 2 you and I observed: it doesn't offer any
directories on the Mac client. I deleted all of those
files in all of the home directories (not just in the
one I was trying to connect).

I think this issue is sort of described on the
Netatalk developer's page:
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/upgrade.html.
However, I didn't get all the details there and simply
deleted the hidden files. Didn't do any damage in my
case.

A good solution probably is: Copy the entire directory
contents to a Mac. Clear the Linux directories
(including hidden Mac-relavant files, but not the
Linux-relevant files). Upgrade to Netatalk 2. Move
back the original contents.

Frank