Trouble with 'portsdb -uU' and ld-elf.so...

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Thu Dec 16 08:09:53 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm having trouble with 'portsdb -uU'

It worked exactly twice on my machine.  I was using the following
commands to upgrade all my ports:

# cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
# portsdb -uU
# pkgdb -F
# portupupgrade -a

worked fine first two times.  Now.. my cvsup works fine.  but when I
'portsdb -uU', it runs for a while and then I get something like:

K_1_2 Segmentation fault (core dumped) JAVA_PORT_LINUX_IBM_JDK_1_3 |
/usr/bin/awk '{ print $1 }'" returned non-zero status
===> java/javamail failed
*** Error code 1
2 errors
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: rm: Shared object has no run-time symbol table
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
fangorn#

// Note that if I do a ls immediately afterwards i get

fangorn# ls
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ls: Shared object has no run-time symbol table.

Now mind you I may have broken my ports tree at some point.  I'm
relatively new to FreeBSD... and before I began using portupgrade... I
was manually upgrading a handful of ports (make install.. deinstall...
reinstall type stuff... downloading port folder manually).. and I think
a placed a few in 'new' directories in my ports tree.  So I do not know
if that would 'break' my ports tree or not.  But thought it was worth
mentioning.

Other things worth mentioning:
- I have a very slight customized kernel config file.  Added support for
ath, removed some processor support (486/586), added splash screen.
- I have NEVER cvsupped my kernel src... only the ports tree.
- Other than changing the kernel config file and buildkernel/install
kernel... I have done nothing such as buildworld.
- No other problems on my machine.

# unanme -a
FreeBSD fangorn.nxdomain.org 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #1: Thu Nov
11 09:39:38 CST 2004  root at unx.nxdomain.org:
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/INSPIRON5100 i386

Have I broken something?  Am I going about upgrading ports the wrong
way?  If I have broken my ports tree.... is it possible to recreate it
correctly?  Maybe delete it and reinstall off CD then cvsup it?

Thanks

--
Regards,
Eric