dvd burning was can't mount cdrom

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 16 05:15:38 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:48:04PM +1000, Timothy Smith wrote:
> ok i disabled hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" in loader.conf and this sovled the
> problem.
> how ever, i still can't burn a dvd with growisofs. i run
>
> titan# dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/cd0a
> * DVD???RW format utility by <appro at fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.9.
> * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
> * blanking /
>
> that finishes without error
>
> titan# growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dao -Z /dev/cd0a=PubWare.exe
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=PubWare.exe of=/dev/pass1 obs=32k seek=0'
> /dev/pass1: engaging DVD-RW DAO upon user request...
> /dev/pass1: reserving 2160 block, warning for short DAO recording
> /dev/pass1: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1385KBps.
> 0/4415108 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> 0/4415108 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> 0/4415108 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> 0/4415108 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> 0/4415108 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> 0/4415108 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> :-[ WRITE at LBA=0h failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=04h]: Input/output error
> :-( attempt to re-run with -dvd-compat -dvd-compat to engage DAO or
> apply full blanking procedure
> :-( write failed: Input/output error

Sorry I was too fast in my previous answer.
I see 2 issues in your operation:

- PubWare.exe is not an ISO image
- PubWare.exe is not large enough, you should not burn something shorter
  than 1GB cause a lot of DVD-ROM player may have problem to read it.

> could it be the blanking procedure is the problem? theres a lot of doc's
> saying upgrade to 5.20 for dvd+rw-tools
> my question, is why ship such an old crap version. i mean 4.10 isn't
> THAT old, these docs are bloody old old.

The procedure described in the DVD burning section of the Handbook works
fine with 4.10  Please double check everything (in reading the mentioned
section) and check if your drive has no compatibility issue with
growisofs (the URL is given in the Handbook).

Marc

PS:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html