php4 install has conflicts

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Tue Dec 14 23:50:57 PST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:49, Noah wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:50:15 -0500, Haulmark, Chris wrote
>
> > Someone broke the silence:
> > > Okay, so I remove mod_php, huh - and then reinstall it?
> > >
> > > take a look at this.  how do I handle all the packages that Need
> > > mod_php?  how do I do this cleanly?
> > >
> > > --- snp ---
> > >
> > > # pkg_delete mod_php4-4.3.5_7,1
> > > pkg_delete: package 'mod_php4-4.3.5_7,1' is required by these other
> > > packages and may not be deinstalled:
> > > gallery-1.4.4.2
> > > gallery-1.4.4.4
> > > php4-bz2-4.3.9_1
> > > php4-gettext-4.3.8_2
> > > php4-mysql-4.3.8_2
> > > php4-pcre-4.3.8_2
> > > php4-session-4.3.8_2
> > > phpMyAdmin-2.5.6_1
> > > phpMyAdmin-2.5.7.1
> > > phpbb-2.0.8_3
> > > squirrelmail-1.4.3a
> >
> > Use -f for pkg_delete when you want to delete a package without any
> > worry about the dependencies.
> >
> > What I would do is:
> >
> > pkg_delete -f mod_php4-4.3.5_7,1
> > portinstall mod_php4
> >
> > Then you can be safe if you reinstall the rest of them with your
> > previous reinstall method.
>
> Okay cool.  let me be sure that I am on the same page as you.
>
> do I need to go and reinstall the gallery, php4-bz2 proggies?  is that
> wahat you are saying here?
>
> cheers,
>
> Noah
>
> > Chris

I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe you need to reinstall those
ports.
Just force delete all old versions of mod-php4 and then install the new
version of php4 or mod-php4 (whichever one you actually want). The other
ports shouldn't need to be reinstalled, because the new version of php
installs to the same location as the old version. Hence the ports that use it
will just use the new version automatically.
You may also want to clean up the duplicate gallery versions by using
pkg_delete -f to remove both versions and then install just the latest
version of gallery.

To avoid this problem in the future, always use portupgrade to upgrade your
ports. That way you won't get multiple versions installed!

Cheers,
--
Ian Moore

GPG Key: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/imoore/imoore.asc