Shell hacker and freebsd booting experts, I need some serious investigation regarding cups.sh

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 22:02:21 PST 2004

Good day,

  I found out this very weired experience on
freebsd(4.10, 5.3) booting process one time when I was
using my home pc. I've installed cups and renamed the
cups.sh.sample to cups.sh to be able to run it at boot
time. I have successfully set up my printer and be
able to print some test page. Now, what bothers me
most is that, each time I try to cancel the loading of
shell scripts residing in /usr/local/etc/rc.d,
particularly the cups.sh which I'm sure is causing the
trouble, the computer starts to halt or shutdown just
right when I'm about to type my username at the login
prompt. Do you know what causes this problem? I'm
thinking perhaps there's a bug in the cups.sh script
that makes the computer halt if the script is
cancelled while being read. I've tried it at work with
my (5.3) workstation but then the same problem occurs.
Try it yourself and I bet you'll experience the same
thing.

I haven't put any script to run inside the rc.d other
than that of the cups.sh which was put by the cups
installation process and other applications I've
installed(kdelibs.sh..etc.). This is weired. Happens
both on FreeBSD 4.10 and 5.3, only after installing
cups. Any idea?