Use /var for storing webpages.. Why???

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:51:17 PST 2004

> > Does storing webpages in /var give you a performance increase?
>
> No.

Well, this is not necessarily true.  When designing a server and
optimising for performance, one thinks about which partitions will get
certain types of usage.  One that varies a lot you will want to have a
fast disk or the fast part of a disk.  When designing one that changes
very little, you would want to utilise the slower drives/parts of
drives.  In this way, if you page is variant data (changes a lot) and
you've designed your system such that frequently modified directories
(/var and /tmp, for isntance) get the fastest partitions, certainly it
would give a performance increase.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.