Strange startup behavior on 5.3-release

Gelsema, Patrick gelsema at superhero.nl
Tue Dec 14 02:04:26 PST 2004

> On Mon, 13 December, 2004 23:56, Mike Meyer said:
>> I'm running 5.3-release, and seeing *very* strange behavior on
>> startup.
>>
>> If I reboot the system, I get the following errors in
>> /var/log/console.log:
>>
>> Dec 13 17:38:59 guru kernel: Starting sshd.
>> Dec 13 17:39:00 guru kernel: sendmail: illegal option -- L
>> Dec 13 17:39:00 guru kernel: sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [
>> -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [
>>  -bs ] [ arg ... ]
>>
>> I'm getting those errors because sendmail is set to
>> /var/qmail/bin/sendmail in /etc/mail/mailer.conf. Since I'm running
>> qmail, sendmail should be run *at all* at startup.
>>
>> The really strange thing is that if I shutdown and then restart the
>> system, without a reboot, I don't see these error messages.
>>
>> I've traced this down to the sendmail_msp_queue_enable variable in
>> /etc/rc.conf. If set to yes, that invokes sendmail with the -L option.
>>
>> There don't appear to be any currently filed bugs related to this
>> issue, and google didn't turn up anything relevant.
>>
>> I'm running the GENERIC kernel. I've attached my /etc/rc.conf in case
>> something there is pertinent.
>
> After you installed qmail (from ports?) were there any instructions on
> how you should modify /etc/rc.conf?
>
> I use Postfix, and after I installed that from the ports tree, it told
> me to add the following entries to rc.conf
>
> dj : ~> cat /etc/rc.conf | grep -i sendmail
> sendmail_enable="YES"
> sendmail_flags="-bd"
> sendmail_pidfile="/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid"
> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
>
> Maybe that's some help?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Sometime ago I installed qmail and what I remember is that in /etc/rc.conf
the following line needs to be added;
SENDMAIL="NONE" #check sendmail documentation for proper line

Basically you dont want the sendmail daemon started during startup, this
is now handled by qmail. Check qmail.org for more information.