Screen usage... was: Xorg/laptop

Bomgardner,Jon JBOMGARD at stpaultravelers.com
Mon Dec 13 10:59:43 PST 2004

<snip>

> > OK, so I found a BIOS option that enabled me to "stretch"
> > the screen however, it is still not using ALL of the possible screen
> > space and Xorg still starts in the small window... Almost there... I
can
> > just taste it....
> >
> > anyone got any other ideas?
>
> What resolution are you using? Laptops take this pretty literally,
> generally. If your laptop has a resolution of, say, 1280x1024 and
you're
> using 800x600, then you'll often get a display 800x600 in the middle
of
> the available screen area.
>
> Peter.

So, I was reading man pages for the last few hours and here's what I
found out:

- vidcontrol sets terminal video settings - however, any setting I've
used doesn't do what I want. Also found that my hardware would possibly
support VESA but I need to rebuild my kernel to get that to work (might
try this later... I haven't done it before so am kinda outa depth
here... but I think this is the option I seek...)

Can anyone tell me if I'm at least on the right track before I go about
trying to rebuild my Kernel?

Other than that I've just been learning a lot of nifty features like
changing the number of rows on the display, changing colors, how to set
up a splash screen, etc...  Fun times!

Thanks,
Jon

This communication, together with any attachments hereto or links contained herein, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of this communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail message and delete the original and all copies of the communication, along with any attachments hereto or links herein, from your system.