Printing in KDE

Gerard E. Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Sat Dec 11 13:52:54 PST 2004

I have failed miserable in my attempts to print from within KDE.

I have three computers networked together via a LAN. Two are running WinXP Pro
and the other (this one) has FreeBSD 5.3 installed. I have installed the
entire 'cups' system as well as 'LPRng' and 'apsfilter'. I was able to get
'apsfilter' successfully configured and did in fact print a test page
successfully.

My problem is that I am totally unable to print from within KDE, using any of
the available systems listed in the "KPRINT" menu. If I attempt to configure
the 'cups' server, I receive this message:

Unable to configure print server. Error message received from manager.

Symbol Configure Server not found in cupsdconf library..

Using 'LPRng', I add a printer profile and then attempt to print a test page.
This is the error that I receive:

A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

/usr/local/bin/lpr -P 'tmpprinter_SqOWXEWm' '-#1'
'/usr/local/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' : execution failed with
message: lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-not-found

I have no idea where to go from here. I really need this computer to have the
ability to print directly to the printer. I welcome any suggestions,

Thanks!

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert at rcn.com