sleepy fxp0

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Dec 11 11:51:04 PST 2004

Gerard Samuel wrote:
[ ... ]
> This box currently uses DHCP to get its IP address.
> When it boots up, and I log in, and immediately try to
> initiate any network activity from this box, it takes about
> 2-3 seconds for said network activity to start.
> For example, if I were to ping, or startx, it takes
> about 2-3 seconds for either ping or startx to actually start.
[ ... ]
> Is this normal?

That sounds more like the puase associated with doing IPv6 versus a IPv4 DNS
lookup, assuming it happens when you are trying to ping some remote IP...?

You might also be seeing a pause due to ethernet autoselection; if you
manually configure the interface and the switch port to manual 100/FD, doing
so might also remove a brief pause.  [Fixing the speed is impractical for a
roaming laptop, but it might be worth trying as a test... ]

--
-Chuck