mysql connect problems

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 11:06:44 PST 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:23:52 +0000, Peter Risdon
<peter at circlesquared.com> wrote:

> > When I specify a value for "MySQL server" and for "DB root password"
> > on the MediaWiki 1.3.8 installation page, I get "Couldn't connect to
> > database" with a script note "MySQL error 1250: Client does not
> > support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
> > upgrading MySQL client".
> >
> > When I omit the root password value, so it can connect with the user
> > wikiuser, it says "Check name/pass or enter root password below", with
> > notes "# MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user: 'root'@'localhost'
> > (Using password: NO)" and "Trying regular user... need password."
>
> OK, but is this a mysql problem?
It's certainly beginning to seem _not_ to be, isn't it.

> Can you connect as the relevant users from the command line?
Yes.  Which would seem to affirm your suspicion above.  And I've tried
every possible combination of information on the MediaWiki install
page, but nothing works.

If there are no more suggestions on how to fix this, how about
recommendations for a different wiki package?  Preferably, one that
won't be quite as much of a bear to set up....

Thanks.