mysql connect problems

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 16:47:08 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:43:19 +0000, Peter Risdon
<peter at circlesquared.com> wrote:
> > AFAIK you must type 'wikiuser at localhost' (including the quotes). If that
> > doesn't work, then I don't know it either. Perhaps somebody else on the list
> > has an idea?
>
> I have found it's best to connect to the database you want to grant the
> privileges on before issuing the GRANT command. This doesn't seem to be
> the way it's documented, but it works for me. You might also consider
> using passwords...
>
> mysql>\u wikidb
> mysql>GRANT ALL on wikidb.* to wikiuser at localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
> mysql>\u mtdb
> mysql>GRANT ALL on mtdb.* to mtuser at localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

Thank you both.  Certainly makes sense, but it didn't work (If it
_had_ worked, I'd be suspicious as to why I needed to do this for
MediaWiki, and not for Mobile Type (which works now).).

When I specify a value for "MySQL server" and for "DB root password"
on the MediaWiki 1.3.8 installation page, I get "Couldn't connect to
database" with a script note "MySQL error 1250: Client does not
support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL client".

When I omit the root password value, so it can connect with the user
wikiuser, it says "Check name/pass or enter root password below", with
notes "# MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user: 'root'@'localhost'
(Using password: NO)" and "Trying regular user... need password."