Totally lost

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Fri Dec 10 14:19:16 PST 2004

Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When i install FreeBSD 5.3, libtool, automake and autoconf don't get
> installed.
>
> I upgrade the ports.
> After that is the total confusion.
>
> One program wants libtools version x, another, y ando so on.
> Some thing to automake and autoconf.
>
> How do i solve this mess ?

FreeBSD is cool enough to allow multiple versions of libtool and
autoconf etc to be installed, just as you can have multiple versions of
Perl. By default one version is used, but the others are used if you
specify the version extension,

eg. on my system, /usr/local/bin/autoconf is version 2.53, while I can
get 2.59 or 2.13 by calling autoconf259 autoconf213 respectively,
similar for the other autotools and libtool.

Obviously, there is a reason for having multiple versions installed,
namely because some ports still relies on old versions, while others
requires features in new experimental versions. Unless the developers
settle on one version of these tools, you will have multiple versions
installed.

If it really annoys you to see that they are there, they are AFAIK only
used for compiling, linking etc. so once you have installed your system
you can deinstall these programs.

But, there is no need to, and they will be reinstalled when you try to
upgrade your ports. It should only bother you if you are trying to write
your own ports, or are doing other development.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt