mysql connect problems

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:13:49 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:08:48 +0100, Jorn Argelo <jorn at wcborstel.nl> wrote:
> > "select user, password, host from user;" on 'mysql' returned 3 'root'
> > entries using 2 different passwords (localhost, %, and the actual
> > host name), 2 anon entries (localhost and host name), 2 'mtuser' entries
> > (one on localhost w/o pw, one on '%'), and one 'wikiuser' entry
> > (localhost w/o pw).  I changed the root passwords so they all use the
> > same one, and changed the 'mtuser' entry that didn't have a password
> > so its password matches that of the other entry.
>
> Have you issued the command similair like GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO
> 'youruser at localhost';

Yes: I ran both of these commands as root:
GRANT ALL ON wikidb.* TO wikiuser;
GRANT ALL ON mtdb.* TO mtuser;
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

It still didn't work in either case.  However, I logged off as I had
to leave for a bit, later opened a new SSH session, and now can log in
to mysql as both users, AND Mobile Type is now working!  I have no
idea what changed.  And MediaWiki is still saying "Couldn't connect to
database".  Running "show databases;" as 'wikiuser' shows the proper
database (plus the 'test' database). I'm stuck.