Linux kernel on FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Dec 10 09:17:16 PST 2004

> Jeff Lawlor wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 09:07, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> >
> >>On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:49:50AM -0600, Jeff Lawlor typed:

> >>Please name 1 program that requires linux kernel source code to run.
> >>

> > Cisco VPN.
>
> Port:   vpnc-0.3.2
> Info:   Client for Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator
> Maint:  delta at lackas.net
> B-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 gmake-3.80_2 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1
> libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
> R-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1
> libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
>

> This one? I have no idea what this thread is about, but that's in ports.
> Wouldn't Linux emulation work anyway?

I think it was sort of a newbie question from someone who has yet to
learn about ports and also the Linux emulation available in FreeBSD.

First they seemed to think they would have to somehow import the Linux
kernel in to FreeBSD somehow to run a Lunix driver, showing unfamiliarity
with the Linux emulation already there that allows Lunix stuff to be run.

Then they did not seem to know about the vpnc (or other stuff) already in
ports to perform the function[s] they want.   I have to admit, searching
/usr/ports can be a bit time consuming and tedius if you get started on
a wrong track.

Anyway, hopefully, you have enlightened them.

////jerry