cache-update (portindex) - hangs(?)

Christopher Illies christopher.illies at molmed.ki.se
Fri Dec 10 06:00:01 PST 2004

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the correct way to use
sysutils/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex. From how I understand it, the procedure for
updating the ports system would be:

to initialise cache, afterwards occasionally :
# cache-init

then for upating the portstree:
# cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile
# cache-update
# portindex -o /usr/ports/INDEX-5 (I am using 5-stable)
# portsdb -u (I am also using portupgrade)
# portupgrade -arR (or whatever)

The problem I have is now that cache-init seems to hang: When I start
it there is activity for some seconds (as seen in top), but no output
at all, then silence - but the command promt does not come back. From a
different terminal I get this (not wrapped):

~%ps aux | grep cache-update
root    58657  6.3  2.6  8052 6684  p1  I+    9:50AM   0:08.27 cache-update (perl)

Since cache-update seems to be idle I used to ctrl-C cache-update and
then proceed, so far without getting into trouble. Is this expected
behaviour or am I doing something wrong here?

Christopher