i386 & amd64

Albert Shih shih at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Dec 9 14:05:44 PST 2004

Hi all

My news computer just arrive ;-) The cpu is a AMD 64 FX 55.

I've try to install FreeBSD 53-amd64 but the hard drive is SATA and the
boot hang when he detect the drive.

The install work with FreeBSD 53-i386.

I think i can, with many effort, find a another DD with IDE interface, but
my question is : If I install amd64 version where is the difference between
i386 ? Well I forgot to say : I'm not programer, i'm just use : vi,
mozilla, tex...
Whit this very standard applications (and I think this application is not
re-write to use 64 bits cpu) are there some difference betwen 386 version
and amd64 ?

Thanks

Regards

--