idiot 5.3 disk question

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Dec 9 07:34:20 PST 2004

> Greets,
>
> I haven't been following FreeBSD much at all lately, having gotten a Linx admin job, so forgive me:
>
> I'm installing FreeBSD 5.3 on a new machine. I've added a second disk, and 80Gig Maxtor IDE drive. I use sysinstall to partition it, and run disklabel/newfs, etc, mounting it as "/storage".
>
> In sysinstall, it shows the disk as being 78G - that's fine. 1024 != 1000.
>
> However, when I run df -h it tells me the disk's capacity is 74G, there's 4.0K in use (it's empty), but only 68G is available. I'm just confused about where the 12G went.
>
> Anyone have any helpful pointers to help me understand?

Quoting    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html

#   9.25. How is it possible for a partition to be more than 100% full?
#
# A portion of each UFS partition (8%, by default) is reserved for use by the
# operating system and the root user. df(1) does not count that space when
# calculating the Capacity column, so it can exceed 100%. Also, you will
# notice that the Blocks column is always greater than the sum of the Used
# and Avail columns, usually by a factor of 8%.

So, if you take 8% out of 74GB you will get 68GB  ( eg. 74*0.92 = 68.08)

> Also, what's the ".snap/" directory for?

Probably some snapshot of filesystem state.

////jerry