Digital video camera + IEEE-1394 + Firewire: How?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 05:21:15 PST 2004

Hi,

First of all, I don't know much at about the firewire stuff.
I've never used it before.

A friend of mine has a digital video camera (SamSung SCD70) and
wants me to transfer recordings to the computer. Before visiting
me, this friend will buy a "IEEE 1394 add-on card" as the manual
of the video camera recommends. Alas, no futher details on how
to do the actual data/movie transfer.

When I typed "apropos 1394" I found that firewire is related
to this topic.

Can somebody give me hints and help how to get this going?

I'm running 5.3-stable. I saw that I need "device firewire"
in the kernel config file, or load the firewire module.
That part I understand.

I suppose I will plug the EEE 1394 card into my PC, bootup and
the kernel will find it.

What do I need for transferring the movies from the video camera
to my PC? Do I need software? Is that in the ports?

Thanks very much!

Rob.