installing cups and setting up a print server on free bsd 5.1

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 18:50:45 PST 2004

robert schiess wrote:
> I am currently trying to set up a print server using cups. I am new at
> this and am having trouble finding the commands of how to install cup
> and run it. I was also wondering if you could help me out on how to set
> up my computer as a print server. I appreciat your time and any help You
> can give. Thanks.

Since you're not mentioning having tried something already, this might
give you a start:

After installing cups, you'll find in /usr/local/etc/rc.d a file called
cups.sh.sample. If you want cups to automatically start at each boot,
copy this to cups.sh. Then you either can reboot your system, or do as
root "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh start".

In your webbrowser, you can now go to  http://localhost:631/.
Enter 'root' as username and the root password.
Then you get into the CUPS administration pages to add your
printer.

Rob.