Free BSD documentation required

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Wed Dec 8 15:53:02 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:55:11PM +0530, Milind Nanal wrote:

> List,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD & finding is little difficult with administrative
> commands. I have worked on RedHat & Suse.  Service startup, boot scripts,
> pstree command everything seems to be different in FreeBsd  compare to
> RedHat or Suse.
>
> Can any give me good ref URL other that FreeBSD.org to refer BSD documents.
> Basic admin guide, security guide, tools, commands & tips & tricks, HOWTO is
> required to get hold the OS & explore in a better manner.

links /usr/share/doc/

links /usr/share/examples/

Or if you have an X session, run links -g on the two paths.

I found OnLamp articles by Dru to be very helpful; and this seems
apropos to your needs:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/11/11/FreeBSD_Basics.html

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/ct/15

Michael Lucas is also noteworthy:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/13

Dan Langille has a site, and he posts here regularly with updates:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/