Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Wed Dec 8 04:01:36 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:54:45AM +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:34:27PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I'm just saying that in my case it didn't work out well. As with any other
> > advice, it might just work for you :)
>
> Sure, I'm definitely not disagreeing with anything you're saying here.  I'm
> inclined to think I have just been lucky the few times I've had to do this
> in the past, and to maximise my good luck I should take the same
> precautions that you do in the future :-)

Oops, I think I didn't exactly get my point across, which was 'it may very
well be that your way works for you, which is great'. I certainly was not
trying to sound condescending (I think is the right word?).

> I haven't played with gvinum yet either, but I'll probably be looking at a
> hardware solution (FreeBSD-supported hardware RAID or network-attached
> storage appliances) when the time comes to replace these servers.  Vinum
> has been excellent, but I always find it really traumatic to deal with,
> mostly because I have to touch it every 6 months at most.  There's always a
> frantic hour re-reading the documentation, followed by a lot of "I really,
> really, hope this works" moments before hitting Enter :-(

Yeah, I certainly recognize those moments. Having gotten through a lot of
trouble in the last few months did do some good in that regard, I know my way
around vinum a bit more. But unfortunately I have heard some horror stories
with hardware RAID as well, so I'm staying with vinum in the forseeable future
(at least I can help to find bugs there unlike firmware bugs in a PCI
controller card).

Cheers,

--Stijn

--
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another