Sorry for the newbie questions :(

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Dec 7 16:40:10 PST 2004

> Hi,
>
> I swear i did my home work before addressing to you, but i didn't
> understood well what i want.
>
> 2. I want to install PostgreSQL 8.
> The port version that is on the CD is 8 beta2, but i see in
> www.freebsd.org that there is already a port for 8 beta4.
> How can i "import" this new port ?
>
> I read a lot about cvsup and other stuff, but it seems very confusing to
> me. I cannot understand the whole picture.
> My question is: how can i "import" a *single* port ?

Maybe what you are missing is that when you install the whole ports
tree, what you are installing are not the ports, but the framework
and instructions for downloading and installing the ports.

You must install (and possibly update) your ports tree in its entirety.
Then you cd in to the appropriate ports directory
such as in  /usr/ports/databases/postgresql72/  for example
and then do a 'make' and a 'make install'
It will then download what you need for that port and install it
and also install all the other ports that it depends on as well.

You may have to study a bit to figure out which exact port version
you want to cd in to, for example, I have never installed postgresql
so probably /postgresql72/ is not actually the port you want.
Also, I was looking through a somewhat older version of the ports on
this machine and it doesn't have postgresql V-8 yet.  I need to update it.
This is just an example.  It will probably be something more
like:   /usr/ports/databases/postgresql8/

Anyway, by doing this you are installing just the 'single' port you want.
But you really really really want to install the entire /usr/ports tree
or you will be missing some of the framework and dependancies that you
will need.

> 3. Where can i find information about supported hardware ?
> Namely SATA controlers ?
> Does FreeBSD suport the Intel ones ?

On the main FreeBSD page (http://www.freebsd.org/) over on the right it
lists the versions that are now considered the latest releases available.
Under each there is a hardware item.   Click on it and follow links to
find what you want.   If you are using an Intel PC type machine, then
select i386 for hardware type when you get to that list.

> Sorry, for my newbiness :(

Newbies are just beginning experts.

////jerry