freebsd network

Benjamin Walkenhorst krylon at gmx.net
Tue Dec 7 12:39:50 PST 2004

Hello,

Dude Dude wrote:
> Right now, i'm changing cable for adsl, and i would like to know if i
> can mantain my network arch, cause ppp causes me a lot of confusion.

I don't know about FreeBSD's support for dsl, but I've got that setup at
home with a NetBSD machine connected to a dsl-modem on one NIC and to
the local network on the other - works fine.

> PS: the gateway is running PF/NATD and dhcpd, and i would like to run it
> just like that in the new gateway... thanks

Given that FreeBSD supports DSL - which I am pretty sure it does, as
Net- and OpenBSD do support it - I think you can go on with your setup.
It seems to be pretty popular, in fact. =)
I don't know much about ppp, either, but again, I am pretty sure there's
good documentation available. For NetBSD, there is a howto which brought
me online in less than twenty minutes.
But once that's working, a dsl line should not behave differently from a
cable modem with regards to NAT and dhcp (you want the machine to be a
dhcp server for the local network, I assume).

Kind regards,
Benjamin