directory Operation not permitted

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Tue Dec 7 11:31:44 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:06:27PM -0500, J. W. Ballantine wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD5-stable and there is a directory named
>  "empty" in the /var/tmp/temproot/var path, created by mergemaster,
>  that will not allow me , as su, to chmod or remove.  Any time I try
>  I get Operation Not Permitted.
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything special about it, any thoughts as to
> what is going on with this beast???

It is a directory necessary for sshd. It has filesystem flags set that prevent
it from being removed until the flag is reset, which only the superuser can do
by default (and when the system securelevel is raised, not even the superuser
can).

Read up on chflags(1) (the 'schg' flag), init(8) (for securelevels and their
definitions), and ls(1) (for the -o flag to see the flags).

> When I rerun mergemaster and reply yes to the final should I delete the dir.
> path, it is removed.

That is because mergemaster does a chflags noschg on the directory before
deleting it.

HTH,

--Stijn

--
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?