Restoring by filenumber

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Tue Dec 7 08:01:20 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:30:49AM -0600, Mike Rodgers typed:
> I am trying to restore a file, by filenumber, from a dump file. The list of options I've attempted is long, but its pretty easy to assume I haven't tried the right one yet. If anybody can give me any input on this, or the incantation that will make it happen, I would appreciate it.

[please wrap your lines at ~72 chars]

It's not quite clear what you mean by "filenumber". In the context of the
dump and restore programs, a dump can be written to 1 or more files on 1 or
more tapes. To restore files from filenumber x of a previous dump, you
use the -s option to restore.
If, on the other hand, you are talking about restoring a file with a
specific inode number, take a look at the -m option.

This is all well covered in the manpage restore(8).

Ruben