http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backups-floppybackups.html

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Dec 7 06:59:31 PST 2004

"Gabrio - Team Perfecto" <gabrio at teamperfecto.com> writes:

> basically i am trying to use something like
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backups-floppybackups.html
> - for splitting a bigger archive, (using the -M option) just that i
> want to compress something i have already on the server so that i
> can create several smaller archives that can stay on the server...

Right.  The -M option isn't compatible with compression.  I get around
that by making a backup to a staging area on disk, and then using
split(1) to chop it into pieces.  If you're keeping it on the server
anyway, there's no reason to break it into pieces.

I suspect I don't understand quite what you were trying to say; if I'm
too far off, please ask a more specific question.

> i was trying this script
> http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/split-tar which looks good
> but apparently does not work with BSD's tar.

Just read the script; it is quite clear about needing Gnu tar.
In FreeBSD 5.3, that's available as /usr/bin/gtar, but in the future
you may need to install it as a port.

> do you have any suggestions? thanks

I described my approach earlier; for details, see
"http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/systuff/".