Installing FBSD 5.3 and 5.4

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Mon Dec 6 21:58:34 PST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:12 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 06:40:27PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> > Brian Astill wrote:
> > >I guess there is some small incompatibility between my system and
> > > FBSD. Whatever .. the effect was that as I kept CVSupdating from
> > > FBSD 4.7 through 4.10 I gradually lost usability as first one
> > > program then another, failed.
> > >I decided to wait for 5.3 before using FBSD again.
>
> IMO, you should really be asking what caused these problems.  Chances
> are it's not an "incompatibility" but something you're doing wrong.

You think I haven't asked?  or sought advice as this problem became a
real issue?  If I knew what I might be doing wrong I would have fixed
it long since.

I suspect that over time, the apps I was using were unable to tolerate
OS upgrades - ie I needed to portupgrade as well as CVSup - but this
might not be the cause of my problems at all.  I haven't been able to
damage Knoppix which is using the same drive and partition as FBSD had
been using, but that might not be relevant, either.

My suggested arrangement, and use solely of Release versions, is an
attempt to avoid any problems arising.

If you don't think this is a good idea, please make your recommendation.

--
Regards,
Brian