KDE, FreeBSD & fish

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Mon Dec 6 16:37:19 PST 2004

I've used Konqueror many times before to connect from abroad to my machine
at home using fish://.

Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't.  I've had several
reinstallations on my laptop over the last few months for a few various
reasons, and I've noticed that on some installations it 'just works' and on
some it doesn't.

I'm connecting from KDE 3.3 on FreeBSD 5.3 to a FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine.  All
I get in my output in the status bar is 'Connecting...' before it
eventually times out.

Yup, I can SSH in normally from this location.  Fish just doesn't work.  So
is this feature dodgy as far as anyone knows?  It's a real pain in the arse
when it doesn't work, because fish is extraordinarily handy for copying
files using a GUI without having to implement something like FTP.  So how
irritating when it doesn't work :-)

PS: I've never been so sure as to where to post queries like this --
freebsd-questions or one of the KDE mailing lists, or both.  But I guess it
can't hurt to post to either.  And I choose here :)

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net