Installing FBSD 5.3 and 5.4

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Mon Dec 6 16:33:39 PST 2004

I guess there is some small incompatibility between my system and FBSD.
Whatever .. the effect was that as I kept CVSupdating from FBSD 4.7
through 4.10 I gradually lost usability as first one program then
another, failed.
I decided to wait for 5.3 before using FBSD again.

In the meantime I have been running Knoppix 3.4 with complete
success,though it will have its own HUGE upgrade problems in due
course.
I MUCH prefer FBSD and its way of doing things, anyway.

So ... I've waited for FBSD 5.3, have purchased the Release 4-disk set
and have 50G diskspace available.

Maybe it would be better to split that 50G in half, install 5.3 in the
first 25G, leaving the second free for 5.4 release.  Later I would
install 5.5 release in that first partition, then 5.6 release in the
second, and so on.

Question 1.  Is this plan sensible and/or practical?
Question 2. If the answer to (1.) is "No", what alternative would you
suggest?

Thanks for your (anticipated) helpful advice.

--
Regards,
Brian