FDISK Woes

orville weyrich weyrich_comp at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 08:20:56 PST 2004

I did a stupid thing and zapped my system FreeBSD 4.3
system disk (/dev/ad0) with FDISK and Label (in
/stand/sysinstall)instead of zapping /dev/da0 that I
intended to do.  Needless to say, my system got sick.

I have built a new FreeBSD 4.10 system on another disk
and have the old (zapped) system disk installed in the
system (but not mounted).

Is there a way to reconstruct the disk label?  (I
need to find the locations of the / (ad0s1a), /usr
(ad0s1f), and /var (ad0s1e), and then write a suitable
disk label without destroying the data on the disk.

I feel so dumb doing this, but it seems strange that
FDISK would allow me to zap the label of a mounted
disk.

Anyway, please help me save my system!

TIA

orvile.