isc-dhcp3-server chroot behavior

Andrew D. Clark andrew.clark at ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 3 14:38:44 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm using the chrooted isc-dhcp3-server and I'd like the startup script
to do a few extra things which it does not.  In order for name
resolution to work for a chrooted dhcp server, the following files must
be in /etc in the chroot:

host.conf    hosts        localtime    resolv.conf

The startup script doesn't handle copying those into the chroot, though
I think it should.  Name resolution is handy if one wants to do
something like:

host somehost {
        hardware ethernet blahblah;
        fixed-address somehost.somedomain;
}

instead of using an IP address as the parameter for the fixed-address
argument.

I'd also like to add a feature to the rc script whereby one can define
a directory containing configs to be included in the dhcpd.conf to also
be copied to the chroot.  A large configuration file is often easier to
handle if it is broken up into smaller files which are included into
the dhcpd.conf.  If these included files lived only in the chroot,
they'd have to be edited there, which would be confusing compared to
the behavior of the dhcpd.conf in the chroot, which is copied from
/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf at startup.

I'm running isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.1.r14_6
I'll happily submit a patch against the current rc script which
implements these features if desired.

--
Andrew Clark
Campus Network Programmer