rcNG - starting services.

Scott Gerhardt scott at g-it.ca
Fri Dec 3 08:30:20 PST 2004

I just made the transition to 5.3 from 4.x and I am unclear on the the
new rcNG way of starting locally installed services such as MySQL,
Samba etc.  I did read the manual pages on rc.d and rcNG.

I just installed MySQL from ports and would like it to start
automatically on boot.

The manual page for rcNG is a bit unclear for starting local userland
services such as mysql.  A working example for a common application
such as MysQL, Postgresql, or Samba would certainly be useful.

My question is:
Do I still start MysQL the old way with the script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh?
OR
Do I create an entry in /etc/rc.conf.local with "mysql_enable=YES"?

Also, if using the rcNG method, do I have to copy the mysql-server.sh
script to /etc/rc.d/mysql or will rcNG make use of default
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh?

Thanks,

--
Scott A. Gerhardt, P.Geo.