FreeBSD 5.3 Questions

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Thu Dec 2 17:50:07 PST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:13:19 -0800
Jerry Gardner <jg2 at gardnerclan.net> wrote:

> I just loaded FreeBSD 5.3 a few days ago, and generally things are
> running well, with a few exceptions:

hello jerry,

> 1) How do I stop the Sendmail daemons from starting at boot? I have
>    sendmail_enable="NO" set in /etc/rc.conf, but two sendmail
>    processes are running after boot.

'man rc.sendmail' -- read it closely -- note that "NONE" works for
the moment, but is deprecated and scheduled to be removed.

> 2) How do I set GCC flags when compiling a port. I added
>    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -pipe" to /etc/make.conf, but
>    get an error when building a port. The error is get is
>    "env: -pipe No such file or directory"

/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf may help you here.

> 3) I think I might have a permissions problem in my home directory.
>    Certain applications (Firefox and xfce, for exacmple) can't seem to
>    write files under my home directory. I can create files using an
>    editor, and download files, but these two applications fail when
>    trying to modify their configuration options.

it would have been very helpful for you to post the perms you have.
these work for my $HOME --> drwxr-xr-x

> 4) I installed portupgrade from the port, and built the database using
>
>    'pkgdb -f', but whenever I run portupgrade or portversion, it
>    displays a message "Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait.." and hangs
>    there forever. How do I fix this?

it probably isn't hanging, but actually generating a new INDEX for you.
solutions to this have been discussed ad nauseum in several of mailing
lists.

1) get used to reading /usr/ports/UPDATING (you'll find your
solution in the entry dated 20041115)

2) when you have a problem with ports, check UPDATING.  if that
yields nothing, check the mailing list archives (lists.freebsd.org
or, my prefered interface, freebsd.rambler.ru)

hope this helps.

cheers,
epi