/dev/uscanner0 owned by root:scanner but only access for users of group operator

maarfree at xs4all.nl maarfree at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 2 14:01:50 PST 2004

Hi list,

I have my Canon Lide 20 usb scanner working om my system. Setup was easy
following the handbook.

But I did not like all users being member of group operator;
So I added a group scanner,
to /dev/devfs.rules I add:
add path uscanner0 mode 0660 group scanner #  (group scanner is added)
I add a user to group scanner.
When I do ll /dev/uscanner0
crw-rw----  1 root  scanner  233,   0 Dec  2 22:24 /dev/uscanner0
When I do sane-find-scanner as the user I get:
found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/uscanner0
and subsequently the scanner is not useable for the user.
But when I add this user to group operator:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x220d) at /dev/uscanner0
and the scanner is working.
but I see the scanner still belongs to user root and group scanner...

Anyone an idea?

Maarten

FreeBSD klaptopje.lan 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Fri Nov 26
14:37:55 UTC 2004     root at klaptopje.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386