How to capture "make installworld" error during migration from 5.1 to 5-Stable?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Thu Dec 2 10:56:36 PST 2004

Hi Christian,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Hiris <4711 at chello.at>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Thu, 02 Dec, 2004 11:54 GMT
Subject: Re: How to capture "make installworld" error during migration from 5.1 to 5-Stable?

> On Thursday 02 December 2004 08:23, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hi Christian,
> >
> > What I've been doing is swapping hardware around on this box in order to
> > get 5.3-REL CD-Sets to boot on this machine.., What I found is that
> > swapping out the Tekram card for an Adaptec-29160 enabled (for whatever
> > reason) to be able to boot and install off the 5.3-REL CD's.
> >
> > After (using the 29160 SCSI disk utility) formatting both SCSI disks, the
> > installation went fine, until the first reboot - I get the following:
> >
> > No /boot/loader
> >
> > FreeBSD/i386 boot
> > Default: 0:da(0,a)/kernel
> > No /kernel
> >
> > FreeBSD/i386 boot
> > Default: 0:da(0,a)/kernel
> > boot:
>
> Try  "0:da(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel" here. Maybe your bios reports a wrong
> controller, in this case try "1:da(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel". Try also the
> second disk "0:da(1,a)/boot/kernel/kernel".

Will try these shortly.., not in front of the machine at the moment..,

> When you install from the CD, it is possible to display diagnostic and error
> messages on the second terminal. You can reach it by pressing ALT-F2.
> Tell us, if you find some interresting messages here.

Will do..,

> Some points you could check:
>
> Did you set the bootable flag on your root slice in the FDISK partition
> editor screen?

Yes, I enter "S"

> Did you select "Install the FreeBSD Boot Manager" or "Install a standard MBR"
> at the boot manager installation screen?

The former for the boot disk.., and for the second disk I select "Install a Standard MBR"

> Did you try the installation process with ACPI disabled?

Yes., I believe over the last four or five attempts, I've managed to have that turned off at the BIOS level..,

> Are the latest BIOS versions installed on your mainbord and SCSI

For the motherboard, yes. Not the SCSI cards though..,

> controller card?
>
> BTW - which mainboard do you use?

Here're the specs of the box:

Mainboard: Tyan Tiger 230 S2507D - running BIOS Version 106 (latest, I believe)
SCSI Cards: Adaptec 29160 and Tekram DC-390UW - Notes:

The Adaptec is not new, but was in use and working fine on another machine (also running FreeBSD) up until about four months ago. The Tekram card was new.

CDROM drive - Samsung 52x (new)
Floppy drive - standard 1.44 (new)
*ALL* internal cables are new, including the u160 cables - each of the sets that I've been swapping around

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide, please.., Thanks again for getting back to me.

Regards,

Stacey