I can not install FreeBSD 5.3 in an old Pentium 100 MHz

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Dec 1 09:44:13 PST 2004

Can you post the output of dmesg?  Just curious.

> > 4) Disable the onboard IDE controller and install a SCSI controller and
> > disk, or even one of the caching IDE controllers.
> >
> > By the way - if you are willing to pay shipping, many of us
> have basements
> > full of junk computers that we don't use anymore that are undoubtedly
> > better than your P100.
>
> Thank you dear Ted for your offer. If I need it I will tell you in the
> future. This dog-pentium is a Fujitsu model that I hate, cause it is on
> a "landscape" shaped box (I do not know the english word, it is for
> staying on a table, and the monitor on top of it)

Usually referred to as a "low profile desktop" case.  If it's a case like
yours that won't take a standard motherboard, it's a "low profile
proprietary manufacturers case"

Generally you don't see these much because the newer ATX form factor,
requires too much room for the standard low-profile desktop
case to fit.  Also, nowadays at least in the US, the threat of workers
compensation lawsuits has pretty much got most larger companies to
throw away their older non-ergonomic office furniture.  The new office
furniture is designed for a keyboard and monitor to sit flat on the desk
and be at the correct height.  From a big companies point of view
they don't want the low-profile desktop cases because then the screen is
too high, and it can become a liability issue for repetitive stress
syndrome injury claims.

> and graphic card is
> buit-in on the motherboard. It is very difficult to work inside (there
> is no room)and make changes. It was a computer that a friend did not use
> and gave to me, to experiment. Another friend, is going to give me an
> old pentium 75 MHz soon, so I am praying for it not having a CMD 640
> controller :-)
> As you can see, I am collecting old machines just to play. I do the same
> with valve black and white TV sets. I have got my first TV with 35 years
> old working in a room at my house in the countryside :-)

:-)  I threw away the last black and white valve (tube) tv I had about 20
years
ago when I was in college.  And even then that TV was about 30 years old.

Ted