DSL Disconnects

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Wed Dec 1 08:02:04 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 07:34:29AM -0800, bryan cassidy wrote:
> Hello. My ISP is through Bellsouth FastAccess DSL and
> I am trying to get my connection to stay up without
> disconnected and having to run /etc/netstart everytime
> it disconnects. I am very confused about how
> connections are in general. I think it is a PPPoE. I
> have to use a user name and password to connect. I
> have a static IP address if that matters. This is what
[...]
> And this in rc.conf
>
> gateway_enable="YES"
> hostname="localhost.localdomain"
> portmap_enable="NO"
> network_interfaces="auto"
> rwhod_enable="YES"
> ppp_enable="YES"
> ppp_profile="pppoe"
> ppp_mode="direct"
> pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"
> dhcp_program="/sbin/dhclient"

It's been a long time since I used PPP, and I've never had to deal with
PPPoE, but if you want to reconnect automatically when the link goes down
you probably want to run ppp in 'ddial' mode, ie:

ppp_mode="ddial"

This will bring the link up the first time you try to send any data over it
and try to bring it back up again if it ever drops.

Hopefully someone else can help you stop the connection from dropping in
the first place :-)

Cheers,

	Scott