DSL Disconnects

bryan cassidy linux_kinda_guy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 07:34:29 PST 2004

Hello. My ISP is through Bellsouth FastAccess DSL and
I am trying to get my connection to stay up without
disconnected and having to run /etc/netstart everytime
it disconnects. I am very confused about how
connections are in general. I think it is a PPPoE. I
have to use a user name and password to connect. I
have a static IP address if that matters. This is what
I have in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 nat enable yes
 nat same_ports yes
 nat use_sockets yes
 set redial 15 28800
 set reconnect 15 28800

pppoe:
 set device PPPoE:xl0:
 set mru 1492
 set mtu 1492
 set speed sync
 enable lqr
 set lqrperiod 5
 set cd 5
 set dial
 set login
 set authname bsdsys at bellsouth.net
 set authkey password
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0
0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a
(sticky) default route
 enable dns

And this in rc.conf

gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="localhost.localdomain"
portmap_enable="NO"
network_interfaces="auto"
rwhod_enable="YES"
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_profile="pppoe"
ppp_mode="direct"
pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"
dhcp_program="/sbin/dhclient"

Not sure what should be added and/or removed.