How to capture "make installworld" error during migration from 5.1 to 5-Stable?

Christian Hiris 4711 at chello.at
Wed Dec 1 05:07:38 PST 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 07:05, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello Christain,

This happens because you install target fails and there are a lot of old
binaries installed on your system.

> > Did you set your kernel timezone with "adjkerntz -i"?
>
> Yes.., followed the migration guide to the letter, save for scripting step
> 15 as I originally asked about here..,
>
> I'm actually preparing to head off-site here at present, but will get back
> to this later on today.., hopefully there'd be more information on the
> situation after examination of the log file output by a kind soul..,

The only thing I can find, is that the install of the test man page fails. I
can't tell you why this happens. Maybe there is a problem with removing your
old test.1.gz (ie. disk access error).
First I would try to manually remove the test man-page by the command
"/bin/rm  /usr/share/man/man1/test.1.gz" and run the install target again.

If the install target still fails with test.1.gz, have a closer look
on /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/test/test.1.gz. I attached 5.3 version of it as of
Nov, 26th.

# cd /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/test
# ls -l
total 24
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1800 Nov 26 16:14 .depend
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  9839 Nov 26 16:21 test
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2654 Nov 26 16:21 test.1.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6708 Nov 26 16:21 test.o
#

--
Christian Hiris <4711 at chello.at> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x3BCA53BE
OpenPGP-Key at hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and http://pgp.mit.edu