Problems upgrading from 5.2.1-RELEASE-P9 to 5.3-RELEASE

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Wed Dec 1 02:59:03 PST 2004

Jorn Argelo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been trying to upgrade my 5.2.1-P9 server to 5.3, but when I try to build
> the kernel it says:
>
> ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
> config version = 500012, version required = 500013
>
> Make sure that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config is in sync
> with your /usr/src/sys and install a new config binary
> before trying this again.
>
> If running the new config fails check your config
> file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
> changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
> conventions
>

> So my friend google told me that I should do a make buildworld first. When I
> do that, it spits out this:

You really do need to read /usr/src/UPDATING and follow the instructions
in the handbook.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

> cc -O -pipe -I. -I/usr/src/usr.sbin/config  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/
> usr/include -c /usr/src/usr.sbin/config/mkoptions.c
> make: don't know how to make /destdir/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1

I assume here you didn't first delete the contents of the /usr/obj
directory. See the above link.

> I haven't tried to upgrade to P-12 yet, should I do that first before
> upgrading to 5.3?
>
> And another question, I've been trying to recompile a 5.3-RELEASE kernel with
> pcm and sbc support. However, now it says that the device is unkown. But it
> always worked fine on a 5.2.1 machine. So what happened? Was it removed or
> something? I've been using kldload snd_maestro3.ko as well (which is the right
> driver for an ESS maestro I guess), but that doesn't seem to work. There is
> still no /dev/pcm0 after running the command.

Yup, sound support has changed. Read /usr/src/UPDATING

Peter

--

the circle squared

network systems and software