OT: Nachos - simulated OS

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 20:51:57 PDT 2004

it was said:

>I suppose i am feeling lazy to compile gas, binutils, & gcc (which
>would make the 3d instance) from source to be cross-compile-able due
>to lack of a port. Speaking of which ... Nachos has been reported to
>be ported to FreeBSD, btw.  (Hint, Hint.)

Hello,

Did you read the entire page that said a FBSD port existed? Look more
closely:

>Existing ports: MIPS, Sparc (sunos and solaris), Alpha, linux,
>netbsd and freebsd, RS/6000, 68000 Mac (unsupported), and HP.
>
>1
>Can NACHOS run on VAX6420/Ultrix?
>---------------------------------
>Haven't tried it.  It should run over any version of Ultrix, but not
>definitely sure yet.

>2
>Can NACHOS run on NexT?
>-----------------------
>Haven't tried it.  Haven't heard of any report of it.

Run on NexT? What?

>2
>Can NACHOS run on Windows?
>--------------------------
>No.  Not at this time.  We're planning to port but it turned out
>harder than it appeared; now that Win95 (finally, a real OS from
>Microsoft!) is out, maybe we'll try it again.

"[N]ow that Win95...is out"? How old is this information?

>From the bug list: Thu, 12 Oct 95
>From the introduction: March 1, 1994
>From the "roadmap": February 3, 1997

The "roadmap" date is the latest one I could find, and that is on a
linked site. The latest on the site itself is Spring 1996.

Hint, hint,

Stheg

2
Can NACHOS run on Windows?