FreeBSD on external Hard Disk

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 13:57:44 PDT 2004

The installation to external hard disk is exactly the same as if you
had another internal drive. Only the external Hard disk will show up
as da0 and you need to keep an eye on which drive you are
partitioning. Select to install the Boot Manager in the MBR when
sysinstall asks for it. alternative you can use a third party boot
manager like grub but it is not at all recommended. Refer to the
handbook for the nitty gritty details about how to go on with the
installation.

Regards
S.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:42:19 +0100, Olivier Renard
<olinon.renard at virgin.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD, hence this question regarding the installation of
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an
> external hard disk. I was considering buying a Maxtor One-Touch (USB and
> FireWire, 80GB) to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on it. I already have Windows XP
> Pro and
> Fedora Core 2 installed on an Acer TravelMate 803 CLi (with Intel Centrino
> chip) laptop, but to make things cleaner, I think it is better to install
> FreeBSD on an external hard disk and to update the MBR on the TravelMate so
> as to be able
> to boot FreeBSD on the external drive.
>
> I have searched the mailing lists on FreeBSD and searched Google, but there
> does not seem to be any information on such a set-up. If anyone has any
> exprerience installing FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an external hard disk (particulary
> the
> Maxtor HD mentioned above), your help and advice would be immensely
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much

Subhro Sankha Kar
School of Information Technology