Which disk is which

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Aug 30 16:54:25 PDT 2004

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >>I've booted a 5.2.1 miniinstall CD and got to the point where I choose which
> >>disk to install onto.
> >>
> >>My choices are
> >>ad0
> >>da0
> >>
> >>Great. How do I know which disk is which?
> >

> > OK  ad0 would be the first ide drive and da0 would be the first SCSI
> > drive or maybe the first USB drive.
>
> Thanks Jerry
>

> >>The website doesn't help.
> >>
> >>I'm not on any list. Please respond by
> >>a) Fixing the web page
> >>b) Mailing me the necessary info (eg the fixed page when it's done) in case I
> >>can't discover by other means which is which.
> >
> > Try not giving orders to volunteers.  It is tacky and won't get
> > you anywhere.    Maybe you should learn enough to fix the DOC yourself
> > and submit a change.
>
> I'm new to FreeBSD and this is my first look at it. I think your
> suggestion a little tacky.

It is the standard FreeBSD and other Freeware/open source suggestion.
Since it is all done by volunteers, if you find something that needs
improving, you are the first in line to do it.

> I'm sorry that you felt I was giving orders, that was not my intent. In
> my defence though, as I said in another post, thought I was talking
> directly to someone responsible for the content, and explaining that I
> find that content confusing.

Live and learn.  Newbie questions are welcome/encouraged, but remember
you are getting help from those who doing it out of their own sense
of community and support for the FreeBSD philosophy, not paid consultants.

////jerry